Installing the the classic Door/Window Sensor is easy and only takes minutes!
The Sensor is fixed to the door frame/window frame and an actuating magnet is fixed to the door/window. When the door or window opens, the magnet moves away from the Door/Window Sensor, activating an internal magnetic switch causing the Door/Window Sensor to transmit an alarm signal to the abode Gateway and system.
The device also has the capabilities of communicating signal problems along with low battery situations.
- Pairing and Test Button (Press when adding sensor into gateway or to place sensor into test mode)
- LED Test Indicator
- Alignment Dots (MUST be aligned and close together. The door contact should be installed either upright or inverted, to ensure that the dot on sensor faces the dot on magnet.)
- Battery Compartment (Energizer 3V CR2 Lithium Battery)
- Cover holder Clip (Press clip in to remove cover)
- 2-Sided adhesive tape (Install on back of sensor, and magnet. Peel off protective film)
Adding the sensor to the gateway. (If your sensor was part of the abode kit, the sensor should already be added to the gateway and the following step: # 2 for the instructions for adding the sensor to the gateway can be skipped)
- Slowly pull out the clear plastic battery Insulator tab located on the back on the of the door/window sensor.
- Use the mobile or web app to add the device to the gateway. Follow the instructions provided on the app.
Mounting the sensor
There are two self-adhesive strips included with the Sensor and Magnet
- Self-adhesive installation
Remove the protective covering from the one side of the double-sided adhesive pads and firmly apply to the back of the sensor and the magnet.
- Prior to installing the sensor in your chosen location, take a moment to inspect the location to insure the sensor and the magnet will fit and accurately line up properly with each other. If the magnet is too far away from the sensor, the sensor will not detect when the door or window is opened or closed.
- We recommend installing the sensor on the fixed location (such as door, or window frame) and mounting the magnet on the moving object (such as door, or window) as illustrated on the first figure to the right.
- In some instances the door and the door frame are not level with each other and the door frame protrudes further out than the surface of the door. In this instance it may be necessary to place the magnet on the frame and the sensor on the door.
- The alignment dots must be close as possible to each other and no more than a 1” gap is required.
Clean the surface with a suitable non-oil based cleanser before placing the sensor and magnet on the selected location.
- We recommend placing the sensor in its desired position first
- Then, enable the test feature on the sensor by pressing in the top of the sensor once. This will place the sensor in the test mode.
- Hold the magnet close to the sensor and align the magnet with the sensor using the alignment dots. As you move the magnet close to the sensor, you will notice that the red LED on the sensor will flash 6 times and then stop. When pulling the magnet away from the sensor the LED will flash 6 times to indicate the sensor is being activated by the magnet.
- The magnet must be placed in a position so that when the door opens or closes, the sensor will be activated. The LED light test will last for a period of 3 minutes then return to normal operation. The sensors LED light does not light up during normal operation.
Do not install on a surface with peeling or cracked paint, this could result in the sensor or magnet to fall off and damage the sensor and trigger the alarm if system armed.
After the sensor and magnet are installed, place the sensor in the test mode again and make sure the sensor LED flashes when the door is opened and closed.
Next, lock the door and shake the door to ensure that the LED does not flash.
Illustrations below show preferred sensor mounting on the door frame and optional sensor mounting on the door.
In Normal operation mode, the LED indicator remains off except in the following situations:
- When Low battery condition exists (LED Flashes when sensor is used)
- When sensor is activated and transmitting the signal under the Test mode condition (LED flashes)
- The sensor uses one 3V CR2 type Lithium battery as its power source. The sensor can detect if the battery is low and sends a low battery signal to the gateway, mobile and web apps. The LED will light up when it’s activated under low battery status. When battery voltage drops to 2.2V, the sensor will stop all function, and the LED will flash every 4 seconds. Battery life up to 10 + years.
- After the battery has been removed from the sensor, press the Learn/Test button 5-6 times to fully discharge before inserting the new battery. Due to the battery characteristics, after inserting a new battery to the sensor, it will self-check whether this battery is working properly or not within 15 minutes after the insertion. If there is a problem with the new battery, the sensor will send a low battery signal to the mobile and web app.
- The sensor will automatically transmit supervisory signals periodically to the gateway at random intervals of 30 to 50 minutes in Normal Operation Mode.If the gateway has not received the signal from the sensor for a preset period time, the gateway will indicate that the sensor is experiencing an out-of-signal problem.
- The sensor can be put into Test mode by pressing in the top of the sensors front cover one time. In Test mode, it will enable the red LED indicator to flash 6 times when the door is opened and 6 times when the door is closed. This test will last for a period of 3 minutes. Each press on the Test Button, will transmit a test range signal to the gateway and extend the test mode for another 3 minutes. It will exit Test Mode automatically after the 3 minutes times-out and returns to Normal Operation mode.
If the sensor is unable to add to the system, or fails to update its status, a factory reset may be required. To factory reset:
- Delete the device from the system
- Remove the battery
- Press the pairing/test button 10 times
- Reinstall the battery
- Add back to the system
If troubles continue once it is added, or if it is still unable to add, please contact support.
Battery: 1 CR2 Lithium battery (included)
Operating Temperature: 14° to 113°F
Operating Humidity: Up to 85% non-condensing
Gap: Install with up to 0.75″ between base & magnet