As part of the Connect and Secure Plan, abode offers an emergency cell backup service in the event you temporarily lose the Internet connection to your Gateway or iota. The abode plans (options) can be found here.
Although cellular services are available in most areas of the USA, Canada, and Mexico, there are some locations were the cell services are ether too weak or not available for the cell providers that abode utilizes for its cell backup service.
In these cases, where the abode system cell backup equipment is not able to work properly where it's located, abode will refund these cell service fees that the customer has already paid for. Abode does not guaranty that the cellular radio that’s built inside the gateway or Iota will work with the cellular services that's located in its proximity.
NOTE: The gateway utilizes either the AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon cellular services depending on which has the strongest signal to the gateway. Locating the gateway on the floor, in a closet or in a basement can weaken the cellular signal.
If your gateway did not receive a SIM, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to compatibility, the gateway only supports SIM cards from abode so they can ship you a abode SIM card.
Follow the steps below for installing the SIM card in your gateway.
Step 1: Installing the SIM
(Note: Gateways shipped after May 2016 will already have a SIM card already installed, and should start working after the customer has purchased their connect or secure plan and activates it. The new Iotas will also already have a SIM card inside.)
Turn off the gateway battery switch and unplug the gateway to power down.
- Locate the SIM card slot in the back of the gateway and remove the rubber cover
- Remove the SIM card cut out from the holder card
- Insert the SIM into the gateway as show in the picture below. If you are looking at the back of the gateway, the gold connectors will be to the left side with the corner cutout going in the slot first.
- Press the SIM card all the way in. Use the SIM holder to push the SIM in (see pic) until it locks into place
- Once locked into place, connect the power back to the gateway and slide the battery switch on
- After one minute, re-sync your gateway by opening and closing your doors
Step 2: Testing your cellular connection
Wait for up to 15 minutes after installation and purchase of the Connect plan or Connect & Secure plan. When first testing the cell service, remove the Ethernet cable from your gateway and wait for 3 minutes.
- Log in to your web app or mobile app.
- Open and close a door to ensure the events show up on the timeline of events on your web or mobile app.
- Test is complete, reconnect your Ethernet cable