- What comes in the box?
Camera, Corded Mount, Doorbell Mount, Magnetic Mount, USB power adapter, mounting hardware, wall clips, security lock wrench, quick start guide, window decal.
- Can I use this on its own?
Yes, this device will be able to be used as a standalone product without the need to pair it to a gateway.
- Can I use automations if it isn’t connected to a gateway?
You will have to use separate, compatible automation platforms since you do not have devices connected locally to a gateway. For example, you can use your Outdoor/Indoor Smart Camera in Alexa, Google Home, or HomeKit automations but won’t be able to use CUE automations without an abode gateway.
- Will this work with any doorbell mount?
The new abode camera comes with two mounts-- one is designed for a standard wall outlet, and the other is compatible with many AC-powered hardwired electronic and mechanical doorbell chimes operating between 8-24 volts. The camera is not compatible with wireless doorbell chimes, but may be integrated with select smart speakers to provide audible feedback.
- How does this trigger my doorbell chime without a button?
Using motion detection and computer vision, the device can trigger hardwired doorbell chimes when people approach, without the need for a physical button. The camera can intelligently distinguish between people, animals, and other movement to trigger doorbell chimes only when needed.
- Can I use this with my hotspot?
Yes, this camera does not require Ethernet at any point and can be set up over WiFi.
- I’ve seen a lot of outdoor cameras in the news lately being vulnerable to hacks. How is your camera preventing this?
Abode cameras authenticate using X.509 certificates. This authentication process issues a temporary, limited-privilege security token which is used to transact via TLS. This ensures your video data remains secure and only accessible to you.
- How do plans work without a gateway?
There will be dedicated, video-only plans for users without a gateway that we will announce details of at a later date.
- Will I need a separate plan to use this device with my abode system?
- When will this device be available?
- Where is the database of recognized faces stored? Is it secure?
- Will the video experience be better than it currently is with abode cam and iota?
- How is this different from the abode cam?
- Is this camera waterproof?
- How is this device powered?
- What happens if my WiFi goes out?
- What happens if my power goes out?
- Can I have my camera professionally installed?
- What happens if someone tries to steal or damage it?
This camera comes equipped with a security lock to prevent it from being removed from its mount. If someone were to damage it you would receive a notification that your camera is offline which would allow you to act immediately.
- Will it be HomeKit compatible on launch?
It is our intention to ship these cameras as HomeKit compatible.
- What storage options will be available?
We will be announcing video-specific storage options before we begin taking pre-orders for this device. Keep an eye out for an announcement to come soon. Video will be stored securely in the abode cloud and available for download as it is now.